STUDENT DRESS CODE AND UNIFORM POLICY (PK-6) – 2022-2023
All Zachary Community School students are required to wear a standard school uniform. Where possible, effort has been made to provide consistency within our grade cluster approach. Please note any grade level differences that may be specific to your child’s school. The overall condition of uniforms should be void of excessive stains, fading, fraying, and should not have holes or cuts. If assistance is needed for compliance, please contact your child’s school counselor or administrative team.
*In questions regarding student dress and grooming, the principal or his/her designee of each school shall make the final decision as to what is considered proper or improper dress according to the guidelines provided.
The uniform will consist of the following items:
- Navy or White
- ZCSD logo required beginning in 5th grade
- Short sleeve or long sleeve
- Pull over golf style w/ collar buttons
- Shirts must be tucked in.
- Shirts must be worn under jumpers.
- Undershirts must be navy or white. Decals may not show through the material of the uniform shirt.
- Excessively tight or loose-fitting pants/shorts are not allowed. Shorts may not be more than 3 inches above the knee.
- Capri pants are allowed.
- Unacceptable: Cargo pants/shorts, jeggings, joggers, jeans Pants should be worn at the waist. Pants must be worn outside of footwear and may not be rolled at the ankle or gathered with elastic.
- In grades Pre-K through grade 4, shorts and pants (if belt loops are present) must be worn with a solid black, brown, cordovan, white, or navy belt.
- In grades 5-6 all shorts and pants must have belt loops and be worn with a solid black, brown, cordovan, white, or navy belt.
Uniform Skirts, Skorts, and Jumpers for Girls:
- Skirts may not be more than 3 inches above the knee.
- Shorts, tights, or leggings should be worn under skirts and jumpers. Long pants may not be worn under skirts or jumpers.
- Females may wear white, navy, black, khaki tights, or leggings under a skirt or dress (no stripes or patterns). Footless leggings must be worn with socks.
- Shoes with a closed toe and closed heel are required. Athletic shoes are recommended, due to participation in Physical Education classes.
- Shoes must be laced tightly and appropriately to the top of the shoe. Shoes that have Velcro straps must be secured properly to the shoe as designed.
- Any type of boot style (cowboy, work, urban) is prohibited.
- Shoes with wheels or lights are prohibited.
- Socks must be worn and must be visible.
- Socks must be solid white, gray, dark blue, black, or brown.
- Sweatshirts/sweaters that are worn as part of the school uniform must be solid navy, white, red, black, brown, gray, Columbia blue, khaki.
- Logos on sweatshirts/ sweaters cannot be larger than 2 inches.
- Official school sweatshirts that are purchased through the school may also be worn.
- Non-zip sweatshirts with large front pocket should not be worn.
- Raincoats, heavy jackets, and coats of any color may be worn to school but must be removed in the building.
- Headwear of any type is prohibited (hats, scarves, bandanas, cat ear headbands, etc.)
Book Sacks /Purses:
- No rolling book sacks allowed
- Pictures or writing on book sacks, purses, jackets, etc. of an offensive, derogatory, or obscene nature is prohibited at school (i.e. alcohol, tobacco, drugs, weapons, skulls, blood, etc.).
- Female students may have a small “clutch” purse at school in grades 5-6. (This will also be allowed in grades 3-4 where a parent deems it is necessary and approved by the administration.) Maximum size for purse is 6” tall and 10” long.
- No Fannie Packs or purses worn around the waist will be allowed.
- Boy Scout and Girl Scout uniforms may be worn to school on the day of a scheduled scout meeting.
- School specific “Non-uniform Day” contracts must be signed and returned before a student is allowed to a “Non-uniform Day”.
Dress and Grooming:
- Hair must be clean, neat, and of a manageable length.
- Hair should be natural hair colors. This includes braids that are woven into a student’s natural hair.
- Make up may not be worn. This also includes mascara and lip gloss.
- Earrings are to be stud only.
- Scarves are not to be worn/used as an accessory.
- Students may not wear chains, leather necklaces, plastic bracelets, or other jewelry which may cause injury during physical activities or a distraction during instruction.
- Sunglasses are not to be worn on school grounds, unless accompanied by a doctor’s order, which must be presented to an administrator for approval.
- Writing on arms or other body parts or clothing with pens or markers is prohibited.
- Student ID badges must be worn throughout the day in grades 3-6. In grades Pre-k through grade 2, student ID badges will remain at school each day.
“Free Dress” Guidelines:
- No tank tops, spaghetti straps, midriffs, or halter tops.
- Skirts, dresses, and shorts must be no more than 3 inches above the knee.
- Shoes must be closed toe. No boots.
- No clothing with obscene language, alcohol, tobacco, or skulls. All dress must be deemed appropriate by administration.
Students are given a “break away” style lanyard. Please have them wear this lanyard only. Due to safety reasons, no other style lanyard may be worn. Thank you for your assistance.