STUDENT DRESS CODE AND UNIFORM POLICY (PK-6)
All Zachary Community School students are required to wear a standard school uniform. Where possible, effort has been made to provide consistency within our grade cluster approach. Please note any grade level differences that may be specific to your child’s school. The overall condition of uniforms should be void of excessive stains, fading, fraying, and should not have holes or cuts. If assistance is needed for compliance, please contact your child’s school counselor or administrative team.
*The final interpretation of the dress code will be at the discretion of the administrators as to whether or not the infraction will impair the learning environment.
The uniform will consist of the following items:
- Uniform shirts must be solid navy or white. In grades PK-4, the shirt may have the official Zachary logo, but it is not required.
- No brand name logos allowed.
Beginning in 5th grade, the approved ZCSD logo is required on uniform shirts.
- Shirts can be short or long sleeve golf-style with collar and buttons, and must be tucked in. Only white or navy undershirts may be worn.
- Shirts must be worn under jumpers.
- Twill material/cotton fabric only (denim, corduroy, and any stretch fabric which cause pants to be tight fitting are not allowed)
- Shorts may not be more than 3 inches above the knee.
- Capri pants are allowed.
- Unacceptable: Cargo pants/shorts, jeggings, joggers, jeans
- Pants should be worn at the waist. Pants should not be rolled, gathered at the ankles or tucked inside of footwear.
- In grades Pre-K through grade 4, shorts and pants (if belt loops are present) must be worn with a solid black, brown, cordovan, white, or navy belt.
- In grades 5-6 all shorts and pants must have belt loops and be worn with a solid black, brown, cordovan, white, or navy belt.
Uniform Skirts, Skorts, and Jumpers for Girls:
- Skirts may not be more than 3 inches above the knee.
- Shorts, tights, or leggings should be worn under skirts and jumpers. Long pants may not be worn under skirts or jumpers. Females may wear white, navy, black, khaki tights, or leggings under a skirt or dress (no stripes or patterns). Footless leggings must be worn with socks.
- Shoes with a closed toe and closed heel are required. Athletic shoes are recommended, due to participation in Physical Education classes.
- Shoes must be laced tightly and appropriately to the top of the shoe. Shoes that have Velcro straps must be secured properly to the shoe as designed.
- Any type of boot style (cowboy, work, urban) is prohibited.
- Shoes with wheels or lights are prohibited.
- Socks must be worn and must be visible.
- Socks must be solid white, gray, dark blue, black, or brown.
- Sweatshirts/sweaters that are worn as part of the school uniform must be solid white or navy blue.
- Logos on sweatshirts/ sweaters cannot be larger than 2 inches.
- Official school sweatshirts that are purchased through the school may also be worn.
- Non-zip sweatshirts with large front pocket should not be worn.
- In grades Pre-K through 4th grade the color of over garments is not specified as long as the coat or jacket is removed after entering the building.
- In grades 5 through 6, the color of over garments aligns with middle school requirements. In 5th through 8th grade over garments must be one of eight solid colors: navy, white, red, black, brown, gray, Columbia blue, or Khaki.
- Headwear of any type is prohibited (hats, scarves, bandanas etc.)
Book Sacks /Purses:
- No rolling book sacks allowed
- Pictures or writing on book sacks, purses, jackets, etc. of an offensive, derogatory, or obscene nature is prohibited at school (e.g. alcohol, tobacco, drugs, weapons, skulls, blood, etc.).
- Female students may have a small “clutch” purse at school in grades 5-6. (This will also be allowed in grades 3-4 where a parent deems it is necessary and approved by the administration.) Maximum size for purse is 6” tall and 10” long.
- Boy Scout and Girl Scout uniforms may be worn to school on the day of a scheduled scout meeting.
- School specific “Non-uniform Day” contracts must be signed and returned before a student is allowed to a “Non-uniform Day”.
Dress and Grooming:
- Hair must be clean, neat, and of a manageable length. Hair must sit at or above the eyebrows.
- Hair may not be longer than the collar on the back of male students.
- Hair should be natural hair colors. This includes braids that are woven into a student’s natural hair.
- No writing, symbols, carvings or Mohawk hair styles. No feathers or colored hair threads.
- Male students are not allowed to wear earrings of any kind, including studs or straws to preserve the pierced holes. Band aids or tape covering the piercing is also prohibited.
- Make up may not be worn. This also includes mascara and lip- gloss.
- Earrings for girls should be no larger than the size of a nickel (grades3-6) and studs in grades Pre-K to 2nd.
- Scarves are not to be worn/used as an accessory.
- Students may not wear chains, leather necklaces, plastic bracelets, or other jewelry which may cause injury during physical activities or a distraction during instruction.
- Sunglasses are not to be worn on school grounds, unless accompanied by a doctor’s order, which must be presented to an administrator for approval.
- Writing on arms or other body parts or clothing with pens or markers is prohibited.
- Student ID badges must be worn throughout the day in grades 3-6. In grades Pre-K to 2nd, student ID badges will remain at school each day.
“Free Dress” Guidelines:
- Student ID’s must be worn throughout the day.
- Belts must be worn properly around the waist –sagging pants are not allowed.
- Students MAY NOT wear any of the following items:
NO backless, strapless or sleeveless shirts
NO halter tops, tank tops, or belly shirts
NO plain white T-shirts; shirts with inappropriate words, slogans or pictures
NO pajamas or see-through items of any kind
NO excessively tight or excessively loose items
NO slippers, sandals, backless shoes or high heels
NO skirts that are more than 3 inches above the knee, wind pants, sweat pants or warm-ups
NO head-gear of any kind, including hats, caps, skull caps, head-bands or bandannas
*The final interpretation of the “Free Dress” day code will be at the discretion of the administrators as whether or not the infraction will impair the learning environment.
Students are given a “break away” style lanyard. Please have them wear this lanyard only. Due to safety reasons, no other style lanyard may be worn. Thank you for your assistance.